Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mirror's Tale


A few weeks ago, my sister and her family moved from the house they had always lived in, into a brand new old house. As she was packing, my sister found all kinds of things that she didn't want anymore. My first stop when I went to her house during the whole packing process was to find the thrift store box. Most times there were reasons the things were in that box, but one day I found this...

This dear mirror had been from the day when navy/burgandy/forest green were all the rage. They were THE colors to have in bedrooms, livingrooms, weddings, graduations and who knows what else. It was the colors we had in our graduation when I graduated in 1994. We were definitely "in"! It was also the day when brass, and lace were a staple in every women's decor. They still may be found in some homes, but my sister did not want to carry things like this over to her new house. Well, I immediately seen potential in this dear mirror and snatched it right up. Took it home and sprayed it with primer.Then I painted the edges white and sanded it to give it a distressed look. I loved the way the burgandy peeked though in some places.Sadly, this mirror is no longer a resident of my home. After it's former owner seen the remarkable changes, she decided she MUST have it back. Call it a housewarming gift or whatever you want too! In her defense I guess I did mention my plans for it and scolded her (as any big sister would do) for giving such a great piece away,and told her I would prove it and she could have it back when I was finished with it! A valuable lesson was learned that day...never disclose secrets for potential. Just take it and declare how ugly it is and how she is so wise in getting rid of it! And never, ever promise to give it back!


8 comments:

  1. whatever. no comment. and bet u cant guess who this is. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute; you were a trooper though to give it back to her; it came out very nice too and I'm sure she will enjoy it in her nice house in the years to come :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoever came up with the whole navy/burgandy/forest scheme? in my opinion burgandy shouldn't even exist. maybe not forest either, for that matter.
    nice job with the spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I on the other hand still love all those colors! Obviously dates me! Of course, I've now expanded my color interests to include burnt orange and sage greens and brown/tans...and there really isn't any burgundy, navy, or forest green in my house....you can't buy them anymore! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you did with the mirror! And your walkway is awesome! It inspires me to do something with our ugly concrete walks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the mirror (and good eye for seeing it's potential)! Not sure I would have been so kind. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job on the mirror!! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete