Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Yellow Things

Yellow is my mom's favorite color. I'm beginning to realize why. Yellow is the color of all things happy. Smiley faces are simply the best when they are a bright yellow-hands down. It's such a happy color. When we were picking out paint colors for our house, yellow was my top choice for the laundry room. The color we chose was "optomistic yellow". There's something about the first room you walk into and I love walking into a bright cheery room.
Spring is the perfect time for this cheerful color. One of the first flowers popping out of the cold ground are bright yellow daffodils.
Lately this fun color has been popping up all around my house too!

We've got forsythia bushes all around our property and I've been picking them to add a splash of cheerful color all around on the inside. I didn't know until a few days ago that they are called "forsythia". Thanks to doing research for what kind of bushes and shrubs we want in our landscaping project, I now have a name for the "yellow bushes behind the house".
Easter candy would not be right without the classic "PEEP". My favorite are the......yellow ones! Bet ya didn't see that coming!
Every Easter I buy these purely for reminiscing. Ok, I love the marshmallowy gooiness too but the memories are what does it for me. You see, one of the few memories I have of my grandpa was going to his house around Easter and he would always have yellow PEEPS there for us. He died when I was 7 years old and to this day whenever I eat one of these my mind goes back. I'm getting teary eyed just writing this...
Then on Saturday, after we got home from a wedding, I went out to get the mail. There in the stack of mostly junk was a gleaming big yellow envelope.
The handwriting was sooo familiar. I knew right away who it was from. It was an Easter card from none other than my dear husband! Talk about falling in love all over again! He knows how much I LOVE cards and notes from him and he remembered me saying about how it would be fun to get a card in the mail from him like when we were dating. We had read in a book that sending a card in the MAIL is special. I forgot all about it, but my hubby didn't! He stored that little idea away and figured he would use it someday.
Speaking of tucking thoughts away...back when we were dating, in one of our discussions on how we can better make each other feel loved, I had mentioned that he doesn't need to buy me all kinds of flowers. Sure I love roses but if he would stop beside the road and pick a bunch of wildflowers that would mean even more than a big bouquet of roses. Are ya with me ladies? Just the fact that your manly husband would pull beside the road and get out of his vehicle and handpick a bouquet for you....that just makes me melt. Well, he did that a time or 2 when we were dating, and every time it made my heart melt. On Sunday when we were on our way home, we passed a bank full of smiling daffodils. My husband nearly gave me a heart attack when he jammed on the brakes and pulled beside the road. I thought something had happened to the car. I asked him what was wrong using a panicked tone of voice I'm sure! He said nothing, but got out of the car and started doing this... He scampered all over that hill and picked the most lovely bouquet of daffodils for me. Meanwhile, I'm sitting in the car with tears streaming down my face, taking pictures. To say that God has blessed me with such an amazing husband would be an understatement. I never, ever dreamed that marriage could be this good! Brad knows me even better than I know myself. I often tell him that I love the way he loves me. I thank God every day for bringing him into my life.
This week it will be 2 years since he asked me to be his wife. It just keeps getting better and better...

2 comments:

  1. Hi; just found your blog; loved reading this entry. How cute your husband picked such beautiful flowers for you and sent you a card in the mail; I never thought of that with my hubby, I might just have to do that for him one day so very soon!

    what a nice story about your grandfather and the PEEPS, I'm sorry he wasn't around longer for you to get to spend more time with him

    sounds like you have a great hubby!!!

    looking forward to getting to know you more :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete